Monday, April 17, 2006

Marcel’s

On Easter Sunday after 2 church services was our destination. I was the guest of one of my sisters, her husband, and their 3 children who live in the DC area. Located in the Foggy Bottom area of DC this restaurant is French/Belgian with the emphasis on French. They were serving a pre fix Easter ‘brunch’ (more of a ‘linner’ [lunch and dinner] if you ask me) that was absolutely divine for $65 per person. I could not resist the salmon as a starter which was served with marinated asparagus and field greens. It was perhaps the best salmon tartar I’ve ever tasted. The portion was generous and the presentation lovely with a circle of salmon topped by rows of asparagus spears, finished with delicate greens. For a main course the filet of beef was what I finally decided upon after much back and forth over the lovely choices. I do not ordinarily order meat rare as so few restaurants can properly execute this temperature but had no doubts that they would be able and so they did and it too was perfect. Served stacked with ‘mashed potatoes’ which I should have paid more attention to in order to be able to recreate, but alas the food was sublime and the company most entertaining (and well behaved, there were after all 3 children) that I did not give the meal the devoted attention that it deserved. (I’ve made a pact to start carrying a small notebook for the expressed purpose). Dessert was a crepe suzette unlike anything I’ve ever had on the streets of Paris that was finished by our front waiter with a flaming Grand Marnier poured from a metal pitcher. Lovely! My brother in law ordered a crisp white Loire Valley at the urging of my 10 yr. old nephew that was dry and fruity (alas again I did not have the note book!) After a phone call to him to clarify unfortunately I really was not paying attention as his selection was unavailable and so what was served was upon the recommendation of the sommelier and broinlaw did not pay strict attention either!
On a scale of 1 to 10
Service: 10
Food (presentation, flavor, originality) 9
Décor: 7
Highly recommended. They also have a pre theatre pre fix with free limousine service included to and from the Kennedy Center when one has valet parked ($8) with them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com