Saturday, July 02, 2005

July 2nd




First chore of the morning was cranking Dad up the mast to reattach the apparent wind indicator which is secured at the top of the mast. We left Sterling Basin around 10am with a favorable current and no wind to speak of. I’d cast off the mooring when Dad called up to me that we were coming back around to pick it up again. I’d heard the engine having a little trouble starting so didn’t think a thing about it. I sat on the cabin roof enjoying the sun and also having an unpleasant daydream of being blown off the roof into the water as the boat exploded. I didn’t credit this to much more than an incredibly over active imagination and triggered no doubt by hearing the minor engine trouble. Dad poked around for a bit and then called up to me, “we’re ready to go but come look at this; I want to show you something.” The something turned out to be a corrupted gasket that had decayed and bubbled. The engine had sure enough been leaking gas which Moms supersensitive sense of scent had picked up. A good thing too as given the right (or wrong) set of circumstances a continuing build up of leaking fuel and the fumes could, with just a spark from the plugs have lead to the big boom. My daydream turned out to be a warning prophecy not just garden variety neurosis. Again I said another prayer of thanks that I am not smoking! Not that had I been smoking that it would have definitely blown up the boat but it easily could have.
We cast off again with disaster averted and motored into Greenport Harbor. The wind started to pick up from the west north/west as we reached Orient Harbor so I raised the main and then set the jib (the sail in the very front of the boat that is usually a pretty color in any race you’ve seen on TV). Soon after we were able to shut off the engine which is a sound every sailor loves. We sailed east across Gardiner’s Bay to Block Island Sound passing along the south side of Plum Island which I’d never done before. (On the topic of Plum Island if you’ve never read the book with the same title do pick it up as it’s a very exciting read) Last autumn the folks managed to get on a private tour of Plum Island which I’d love some day to do myself. The Island is run/owned by the US Government and used for animal disease testing. In these treacherous times it does not take any stretch of imagination to think that it’s being used for more nefarious purposes as well….We carried on with the wind moving more to the north and sailed past the south side of Fishers Island which I’d not done either because of the potentially treacherous but these were ideal conditions for a leisurely sail and we all enjoyed the scenery and massive houses. One of my favorite waterfront houses ever is on Fishers Island on the East Harbor. It’s an old coast guard boat house that’s been converted to a private home. Just a box on the water really but it’s captured my imagination. There’s nothing grand or pretentious about the structure as is the case with so many water front properties. One of these days when we’re anchored there I may get the nerve to row over and introduce myself. Who knows maybe I can trade a tour for a sail?
We decided to go to Stonington as the wind was going to be blowing from the north and that harbor would give us more protection than would East Harbor so no chance to take a picture of my favorite to share with you.
Dinner was easy; a cold supper of meat loaf and small helpings of the various salads and for dessert sugar-marinated blue berries and strawberries served over chocolate chip pound cake with a little freshly whipped heavy cream. This may have been the first time I’ve ever manually beat whipped cream and it made me very grateful for electric mixers! It was however a delicious treat and Mom pointed out how with the red, white, and blue it was the perfect 4th of July dessert. No one, not even I believed it when I pretended for a minute that I’d planned it that way. I’m too accidental to be deliberate.
Following dinner there were four different professional displays of fireworks each of which were awesome. A beautifully clear star filled sky followed; something one never sees in Manhattan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com